This week’s news links are brought to by the Martini – alleviating middle-class stress through gin and vermouth since 1867!
- The release of Revolutionary Road and the return of Mad Men for a second season has reminded the world of the official cocktail of business lunches and the 1950′s. You can’t knock its place in popular culture or its heritage (or can you?), but the important question remains: how much vermouth?
- Stocking your home bar? No need to go crazy.
- The global economic downturn claims its first casualty in the spirit world, with the news that beer has replaced raki as Turkey’s drink of choice.
- The minds at eGullet turn their attention to the difficult task of naming drinks.
- Also at eGullet: taking his cue from Underhill-Lounge’s trip through the Savoy Cocktail Book, forum user evo-lution is planning to work his way through Jerry Thomas’ The Bar Tender’s Guide.
- Topical this one, given the recent focus on responsible drinking among adults and children, Paul Clarke’s latest contribution to Proof looks at why he drinks the way he does.
- From California, the nascent trend in beer cocktails – no margaveza?
- From NYC, an interview with Belvedere brand ambassador Claire Smith.
- If you live in Britain, you’ll be familiar with the Government asking you to drink responsibly. It seems they might even try asking nicely.